Boot Problem

Hi All.

Yesterday my pc worked fine. Today when booting the sequence gets just past mounting the root filesystem - it then says

' Module dependencies up to date (no new kernel modules found).'

At this point it hangs and goes no further! Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I am running Slackware 10.1 - the filesystem is reiserfs. I have booted from the rescue disk and fsck'd the system but to no avail. I did experience a system freeze yesterday and thought I may have a hardware problem. I am about to take the thing apart , reseat everything and try putting in 1 stick of ram at a time and such like.

..so my question is has anything similar happened to anyone or am I looking at a re-install!

Many Thanks

It might be worth booting from the rescue disk, mounting whatever partition /var is on, and taking a look at /var/log/messages and other log files and see what happened at or just before the time the machine froze - see if there are any clues there....

Cheers
ZB

..thanks for the suggestion. I looked through the start up messages again and found a line stating that the / filesystem had not been cleanly unmounted (from the freeze I guess). I loaded up the rescue disk and ran the reiserfsck - everything looked clean.

I then ran reiserfsck --check which then moaned about some corruption. I then followed with reiserfsck --fix-fixable which then supposedly fixed the error. I reran with the check option once more - it still complained and now said I would have to run reiserfsck --rebuildtree. I did this and it promptly gave a segmentation fault. I can no longer mount the partition or do anything else with it. I have a feeling I'm looking at a reinstall :wink: I sure am glad I seperate my filesystems onto different partitions else I would have lost everything!

I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed in resierfs - i never had these issues with ext3 even after repeated power outs - could always recover. However my knowledge of th reiser filesystem is limited and I guess the fault could well lie in my hardware - time will tell !

many thanks for help though - guess its reinstall time !