Beginning for shell programming and scripting

I just did a quick search for 'script' and browsed the Shell Programming and Scripting Q & A category, but didn't spot a thread that might help me.

I'm wanting to get into shell programming and scripting (including automating a lot of manual processes, i.e. renaming files, replacing characters in file names, appending a fixed prefix to the beginning of a file name only, etc.). Can I be pointed to references / guides / etc. that will explain the components of this topic, and walk through the 'tricks' and 'secrets' that would allow whatever I might want to achieve through typing up a script a lot easier and efficient?

While I am looking for things for the elementary / intermediate topics, advanced items would be greatly appreciated as well (as long as they don't sound Greek to the beginner wanting to become more experienced).

Thanks in advance.

That reminds me. I want to add a link to [thread=13774]Unix Tutorials/Programming Tutorials/Shell Scripting Tutorials[/thread]

Guess what I'll be reading while I'm online this weekend?! =) Thanks so much!

Can this be posted also in the beginners / newbies section as well?

Thanks again!

No. It is useful to everyone, not just beginners. No one should be using the site without reading and following the rules. Anyone who posts a question without first searching the site is breaking those those rules. There is a link to the Rules & FAQ on every page. That really has to be enough. I know, it's not enough...but we aren't going to clutter the site with even more links.

You're lucky that you reminded me to add a link to the faq... Several times a week I will answer a question like this; but I often ignore questions that can be answered by reading our FAQ section. :wink:

Well, thanks so much for posting the link! I really enjoy typing and I'm liking just about everything I'm encountering in Unix at this elementary stage that I'm at. I have added the link as a favorites on my work machine and will be bookmarking it on my personal machines for reference and studying. Thank you!