[beginner] dladm create-bridge

hello everyone, I'm a new user and unix-beginner.

I've just installer solaris 11 on my home server, disabled some services, created a fallback BE, enabled speedstep, etc

and now I'm trying to create some zones. I'd like to have an exclusive ip zone and, as far as I know, I sould assignate it to a bridge. So now I'm trying to create a bridge with

dladm create-bridge -l net0 bge0

(Don't know if the command is correct, remember, I'm an absolute begineer)

The problem is that it returns:

dladm: invalid bridge name 'bge0'

from the official doc:

Should I report this as a bug? And, if so, where? Or I'm doing something wrong?

what is the output of dladm show-dev on your server?

dladm show-dev apparently doesn't exist on solaris 11:

here's show-link:

---------- Post updated at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:14 AM ----------

I have another problem:

root@myhostname:~# svcadm enable svc:/network/smb/server:default
root@myhostname:~# svcs | grep smb
online 17:41:29 svc:/network/smb:default
offline 17:42:02 svc:/network/smb/server:default

You don't need to create bridges to get exclusive interface zones. Just create vnics on your network card:

dladm create-vnic -l net0 vnic0
dladm create-vnic -l net0 vnic1
1 Like

thank you, it worked!

---------- Post updated at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:18 PM ----------

again, I can't get it working.

I've installed and booted the zone, and then I've tried to connect to it:

I can't do anything. I'm seriusly thinking to install the old release of solaris, but first... what am I supposed to do in order to (try to) solve this problem?

Post output of

zoneadm list -cv
zonecfg -z external export

How did you create that configuration? Did you follow some guide or something? I don't think there is property group called "anet" in Solaris...

I've followed this guide: h t t p://solaris.reys.net/solaris-10-zones-part-one-a-working-example/ (sorry, I haven't 5 posts yet and I can't post urls)

I've never specified anything similar. I think it was added by default

There has been a lot of changes between Solaris 10 and Solaris 11, and even between Solaris 11 Express and Solaris 11. Networking configuration is definitely part of them.

About zones configuration, have a look at these pages:

How to Get Started Creating Oracle Solaris Zones in Oracle Solaris 11

Zone Components - Oracle Solaris Administration: Oracle Solaris Zones, Oracle Solaris 10 Zones, and Resource Management

---------- Post updated at 22:35 ---------- Previous update was at 22:32 ----------

That explains a lot. This guide doesn't apply to Solaris 11 but Solaris 10.

I've read the first link, but I can't see any difference in:

and

root@global:~# zoneadm -z testzone install, root@global:~# zoneadm -z testzone boot; zlogin -C testzone

---------- Post updated at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:52 PM ----------

the only difference from your doc. and what I've done is in the network configuration and in the verbose boot

Indeed, Solaris 10 zones are using shared-IP zones by default which demand no configuration. Solaris 11 zones are using an exclusive IP stack by default, which is far much flexible but require to be configured.

thank you, I'll read the complete doc for solaris 11 as soon as possible :slight_smile:

---------- Post updated at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:38 PM ----------

hey, it works without -C!

root@myserver:/zones/external/root/etc# zlogin external
[Connected to zone 'external' pts/3]
Oracle Corporation SunOS 5.11 11.0 November 2011
root@external:~#

---------- Post updated at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:41 PM ----------

reinstalled following the tutorial for solaris 11 and works even with -C; thank you!