basic unix question

Hello,

I'm new to solaris and have an experience with linux. When we see network interface I can see qfe, hme, le0. What is that mean? Is it depend on the network card?

Yes, in practical terms that's exactly what it means.

qfe - quad fast ethernet
hme - happy meal ethernet
eri - eri Fast-Ethernet device
ce - copper ethernet
bge - fiber gigaswift
:cool:

1 Like

bge is actually Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet.

And my rtls0 what means?

ce stands for "cassini ethernet"!

this should be a "realtek" ethernet card...

Thanks a lot, If I want to setup IP address permanently, I just need to modify /etc/hostnames.xxx and put the IP address there? How about the netmask and gateway address?

Thanks in advance.

/etc/netmasks and /etc/defaultrouter

So eri means "eri Fast-Ethernet device".... is that supposed to be like GNU? Someone missed the point of a recursive acronym. "eri rocking interface" might have worked.

I hear the "happy meal" thing a lot, but no one can tell me why someone would name an interface "happy meal". I guess Cassini, while a bit more "uptown", is ultimately just as opaque. I have been told that "le" is "lance ethernet", I can only hope that some dude named "Lance" invented the thing. Can anyone explain these names?

Actually hme as "happy meal" is a deliberate misinterpretation of the acronym which started internally at Sun. hme formally means "Hundred Megabit Ethernet".

ce0 - Cassini was the Sun project code name for the "Gigaswift" chipset.

le - Lance ethernet Comes from the use of the Lance Am7990 chip.

eri is an reverse of the normal pattern - Ethernet Rio because the Rio ASIC is used. This reverse naming might be because the RIO is both an IO and ethernet controller and only the ethernet tracnciever is used.

1 Like

The interface netmask and anything else configurable with ifconfig can also be set in /etc/hostname.xxx.