bash script for password recovery

Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie to bash scripting, although I have some experience in programming. The thing is that I have a .dmg file on my mac which I protected with a password, and now I've forgotten it.

I remember the first few letters of the password and the characters that represent the last few letters, so I want to write a script that goes through all the options iteratively to find the correct one

#!/bin/bash
#my array of password options
psswrd=( one two three )
#first call to open the dmg file
hdiutil attach DOCS.dmg
#here i give it a wrong input password on purpose so it enters the loop
while [ $? = 1 ]; do
	hdiutil attach DOCS.dmg
        #at this point I'm prompted with "Enter password to access "DOCS.dmg":"
        #and instead of typing the input I want to iterate through the array "psswrd" and use each of its elements in turn as an answer to the prompt
        #also i want to be able to exit the loop if i've gone through the entire array and not found the correct password
done

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Cheers.

for let5 in a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
do
for let6 in a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
do
for let7 in a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
do
 try_pw=$let14$let5$let6$let7
 . . .
done
done
done
for let5 in {a..z}
do
for let6 in {a..z}
do
for let7 in {a..z}
do
 try_pw=$let14$let5$let6$let7
 . . .
done
done
done

try echoing the password into it with a pipe.

if echo password | htiutil
then
        echo password worked
        break;
fi

if it won't take passwords that way, you may need to use the expect utility to fake having a virtual terminal.

Yes, it it reads password using /dev/tty not stdin you need a pseudo terminal. Tools like expect might be slower and more trouble than somethng like this, the poor man's expect:

(
  Insert code to generate passwords and from them generate "a script to try passwords on the remote bash",
   checking output_file for failure before generating and trying the next password,
   and exiting printing the last password on success.  N Failures might be easier to determine than success. 
  Some authenticators faill all passwords after the first three tries, so you need a fresh session to ensure your results are real.
 )|ssh2 localhost bash >output_file 2>&1

I am a ksh guy, and usually do not have ..:

$ for i in {a..z}
> do
> echo $i
> done
{a..z}
$