BASH on AIX

Hi everyone,

Currenntly I am using Korn Shell on an AIX server. I want to migrate to BASH shell. How do I go about it? And what are the impediments to getting bash on the server?

Your comments will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

Go here and download it.

I would not advise changing the shell of the root user to anything but the default ksh however. For other users it is probably harmless.

thanks, mate

Sitting in an environment with a load of software developers who first thing after logon enter "bash" on the commandline I'm not so sure if it is really recommendable.

Are there any significant advantages of bash over ksh? No, not really. Yes, you can use the cursor keys in bash out of the box whereas you can use them in ksh only after at least 5 minutes of configuration - big deal! I haven't seen anyone using any real differences in these two shells save for that.

The downside is, AIX is mostly built upon ksh and this won't change. When writing scripts you better assume as little as possible about the system your script will run on and that means you write scripts for AIX machines in ksh and nothing else. But writing scripts in one shell while you are using another will be more difficult than using the same shell for both purposes. One can't use the commandline to test something he wants to use in a script.

bakunin