bash Linux login file

Hello all new to linux here...

Please help,... when using Pico how can I open and edit the bash Linux login file (stored in your Linux root directory). I would like to add the new commands for items listed below.

a) display contents of a directory => mycd

b) display date and time => mydt

c) logoff => myexit

[homework answers removed]

Are you asking how to use pico to edit a file?
Are you asking which file to edit?

The "Linux root directory" is "/" and there are no login files there. There are also several kinds of "login files". There is login.defs, bashrc, profile, etc... and they are located in your "home directory" or in "/etc".

Some (ex. files under "/etc") should NOT be edited by a beginner and some (ex. files in your home) are fairly safe to tinker with.

What exactly are you asking here?
Please give a better example of what you are trying to do.

It looks like you want to set "aliases", but for who?
You?
All users?

I want to know what file to edit within pico, this is for an assignment i have to do and im pretty clueless here, here is the proper wording of how it was phrased to me....

use pico to open and edit the bash Linux login file (stored in your Linux root directory). Be careful not to change any of the existing login file commands, and simply add the new commands for items listed for a, b, and c, below to the end of the login file. To test the modified login file, log out and log back in, then use the customized commands.

a) display contents of a directory => mycd
b) display date and time => mydt
c) logoff => myexit

Do not post classroom or homework problems in the main forums. Homework and coursework questions can only be posted in this forum under special homework rules.

Please review the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

More-than-likely, posting homework in the main forums has resulting in a forum infraction. If you did not post homework, please explain the company you work for and the nature of the problem you are working on.

If you did post homework in the main forums, please review the guidelines for posting homework and repost.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums.