Bash display error

Some of my admin made some changes on my Solaris-10 box and after that I started getting this wiered issue. I checked path, but not able to figure it out. This is for a non-root user

gcadmin@brbpod06:[~] $ echo $SHELL
/usr/bin/bash
gcadmin@brbpod06:[~] $ bash
bash: brbpod06:: command not found
gcadmin@brbpod06:[~] $ echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin/nms/apps/netcool/Omnibus/netcool/bin:/nms/apps/netcool/Omnibus/omnibus/bin:/nms/apps/netcool/Omnibus/omnibus/probes:/nms/apps/netcool/Omnibus/netcool/platform/solaris2/jre64_1.6.0/jre/bin
gcadmin@brbpod06:[~] $
gcadmin@brbpod06:[~] $ cat .profile
ulimit -n 8192
# New environment setting added by IBM Tivoli Network Manager on Wed Jun 05 15:07:07 PDT 2013 1.
# The unmodified version of this file is saved in /nms/apps/netcool/.profile2104888322.
# Do NOT modify these lines; they are used to uninstall.
DB_LOCALE=EN_US.UTF8
export DB_LOCALE
# End comments by InstallAnywhere on Wed Jun 05 15:07:07 PDT 2013 1.

#
# Copyright (c) 2001 by Sun Microsystems, Inc.
# All rights reserved.
#
# ident "@(#)local.profile      1.10    01/06/23 SMI"
#stty istrip
#PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/etc:.
#export PATH
export TCR_HOME=/nms/apps/netcool/Omnibus/tipv2Components/TCRComponent
export TIP_HOME=/nms/apps/netcool/Omnibus/tipv2
export TIPHOME=/nms/apps/netcool/Omnibus/tipv2
export PRECISION_HOME=/nms/apps/netcool/Omnibus/netcool/precision
export PRECISION_DOMAIN=ITNM_P
export PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:$PRECISION/bin:$ITNMHOME/bin:$TIP_HOME/bin:$TIPHOME/bin:$NCHOME/bin:$OMNIHOME/bin:$OMNIHOME/probes:$NCHOME/platform/solaris2/jre64_1.6.0/jre/bin
export ITNMHOME=/nms/apps/netcool/Omnibus/netcool/precision
export INFORMIXDIR=/nms/apps/netcool/informix
export NCHOME=/nms/apps/netcool/Omnibus/netcool
export OMNIHOME=/nms/apps/netcool/Omnibus/omnibus
export PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin$NCHOME/bin:$OMNIHOME/bin:$OMNIHOME/probes:$NCHOME/platform/solaris2/jre64_1.6.0/jre/bin
#export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/nms/apps/netcool/Omnibus/platform/solaris2/lib64:/nms/apps/netcool/Omnibus/omnibus/platform/solaris2/lib64:/nms/apps/netcool/Omnibus/platform/solaris2/lib:/nms/apps/netcool/Omnibus/omnibus/platform/solaris2/lib
export HISTFILESIZE=5000
export HISTSIZE=50000
export PS1="\u@\h:[\w] $ "
gcadmin@brbpod06:[~] $

see if ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login exists ... the error seems to be that a login script is running the output of hostname as a command ... you might also want to recheck /etc/profile ...

1 Like

You are right, it was mentioned in ~/.bashrc. I removed that line and it fixed the issue. Thanks