Bad performance when log in with putty

Hello guys!

I'm n00b in AIX and I'm sticked in a problem. (my English is poor enough, but I hope you can understand me :P). So.. I'm trying to connect to an AIX machine with putty, and .. 'using username xxx' appears after 2 sec (OK), but 'xxx@ip's password' appears after 1:15 min. After logging in, everything looks fine. Ping at machine : 82ms. Telnet working fine. How can I decrease 1:15 waiting time?

Thanks in advance and cheers :wink:

RGRDS,
Dan.

Well, there's nothing that you can do, unless you are the admin of this AIX box. There might be several reasons for the slow response of the server : the sshd daemon is overloaded, the server itself is overloaded, so the sshd daemon can't obtain resources. I'd suggest contacting the admin of the server, or, try another login from different location, e.g. another server on that network, the colleague near you, etc. Basic network tests from those locations will be also fine, so that you get the whole picture.

My guess would be an incorrect DNS configuration - it's probably hanging while trying to do a lookup on your host/ip

It shouldn't be DNS issue, as he stated, the telnet attempt works fine, that's why I've suggested sshd daemon config. In order to scratch that, just use the IP of the server instead of rDNS. Another thing : connect to another box on the network, and run manual ssh login with "-vvv" flag like : "ssh user@10.101.1.10 -vvv" and trace the output.

When you login the system attempts a forward and reverse lookup of your local host - I'm not referring to his local system doing a DNS lookup of the AIX box. If DNS is misconfigured this can cause delay...

Add the following lines to the /etc/environment and give the system a reboot so that all the networking daemons are refreshed with the new changes.

RES_TIMEOUT=2
RES_RETRY=2

Regards,

Kaps

Is the system using LDAP by any chance? That could be the problem as well.