Backup to a remote tape device. Is it possible?

Hi all
The situation is as follows:
We need to take an mksysb image from an AIX 6.1 server. From some reason (irrelevant to this discussion) this server does not have access to a local CD-ROM or a tape drive. We do have another server with AIX 6.1 (but different technology level) which got access to a tape device. Both servers are connected through LAN. Can i make an mksysb image from server 1 and - somehow - write it to the tape device of the second server? I need the tape to be bootable that's why i am not just FTPying the mksysb image to the target server.
Any suggestions?

---------- Post updated 10-15-12 at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous update was 10-14-12 at 11:59 AM ----------

Ok everybody i found the solution. For anyone who's searching for this here is the answer:
The scenarios is as follows:

Machine A : We need to take an mksysb image on a tape. The tape should be bootable. The machine does not have access to a tape drive.

Machine B: Does have access to a tape drive and is connected to machine A via LAN.

Procedure:

A bootable tape as a result of mksysb contains 4 records (set of data).

Boot image - should contain all drivers from and for backed up server, so I reccomend to create own image for every backed up server (Doesnt take a lot of time anyway)
mkinsttape image - contains some install data and structure and mountpoints of rootvg
Dummy "Table of Content" record - not used, it is here only for some compatibility reasons
mksysb image - archive of rootvg files - the "core" part of tape
Steps: (our working directory on both servers will be /opt)

Machine A:

Create a bootable image on machine A:

bosboot -ad /dev/rmt0 -b /opt/1_bosboot.img

Mkinsttape image:

mkinsttape /opt/2_mkinsttape.img

mksysb image:

mksysb -e -i -p /opt/4_mksysb.img #### with -e is for exluding files, it is optional only

Notice that the files are named in the order they will be written on the tape.
Copy the three resulting files: 1_bosboot.img, 2_mkinsttape.img, and 4_mksysb.img to machine B via FTP or SCP or whatever method.
Machine B:

Prepare the tape

chdev -l rmt0 -a extfm=yes

Rewind it

tctl -f /dev/rmt0 rewind

Change the block size to 512

chdev -l rmt0-a block_size=512

Rewind it again

tctl -f /dev/rmt0 rewind

Write the first file

dd if=/opt/1_bosboot.img of=/dev/rmt0 bs=512 conv=sync

Rewind the tape

tctl -f /dev/rmt0 rewind

Position the writer to write after the first file:

tctl -f /dev/rmt0.1 fsf 1 ## Notice that we used the non-rewindable device rmt0.1 rather than the normal one rmt0

Write the second file:

dd if=/opt/2_mkinsttape.img of=/dev/rmt0.1 bs=512

Rewind

tctl -f /dev/rmt0 rewind

Position the writer to write after the second file:

tctl -f /dev/rmt0.1 fsf 2

Create and save the dummy TOC to tape (required by bootable tapes):

echo "Dummy tape TOC" | dd of=/dev/rmt0.1 bs=512 conv=sync

Rewind:

tctl -f /dev/rmt0 rewind

Position the writer to write after the third file:

tctl -f /dev/rmt0.1 fsf 3

Write the final file:

dd if=/opt/4_mksysb.img of=/dev/rmt0.1 bs=512

Eject the tape and you're done.

Many thanks for writing a follow-up.

I am going to change the thread title to "[Solved]".

bakunin