Backup sun Solaris Server

hello,

I need to make a backup for my sever Sun Solaris 10, is there any propositions to realize this , or a control line assembly to have a copy of my server.

waiting for your reply
thank you in advance

Ufs or zfs filesystem(s)?

it is an UFS filesystems

You should search this forum for "fssnap" and "ufsdump" and/or "fssnap ufsdump"

Here is a thread where I describe the process:
Backup root disks

If you have more than one filesystem then you should backup each one separately to give you greater options for recovery if a disk fails.

You can send a ufsdump to a tape (which is typical), over a NFS link to another system, to a SAN LUN, or any other storage you can address.

fssnap freezes the filesystem (sending the ongoing changes to a journal) so that the filesystem is not moving whilst being backed up. Remember to release the snapshot which then allows the journal to update the filesystem and bring it up to date.

2 Likes

is there any application which can do the Backup of this server automatically ??

thank you

You can write a script with the backup commands (eg, mount remote storage, fssnap, ufsdump) testing for errors (ie, non-zero exit codes), and run it via cron (eg, at 2 a.m. daily). The script can email you errors or even confirm success via email. Then you can set and forget.