Backup HP-UX

Hi Experts,

Can you please guide me on following activites as it needs to be completed before/after one of our system's(HP-UX) downtime.

Before downtime
(1) Please guide how to take backup of all mount points
(2) How to take backup of network settings

After downtime
how to check if all mont point is properly mounted and network settings are same as previous.

Need your urgent help!!

Thanks in Advance.

Check out IGNITE-UX.
HP-UX System Management | Ignite-UX

1 Like

Look in the directory /etc/rc.config.d , sort by modification date and save anything which has changed since HP-UX was installed . The main Network Configuration file is called netconf , but there will be more depending on what network hardware you have installed.

Other network-related files to save are:
/etc/hosts
/etc/inetd.conf
/etc/nsswitch.conf
/etc/ntp.conf
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/services
# Everything in the directory
/etc/mail

Again, sort /etc by modification date and and look for files which have changed since the system was installed (particularly files with extension .conf).

Save a copy of /etc/mnttab (the list of current mounted filesystems) for comparision.

As for the full backup, as well as making an Ignite backup as advised you may need to backup other filesystems which are excluded from the Ignite backup.
How do you normally back your system up?

Hi Methyl..

Thanks for the reply.

How to take backup using netstat?

For e.g.

Before downtime I execute following command
netstat -<some_option>  > netstat_output_before.txt

After system is rebooted I execute following command
netstat -<some_option> > netstat_output_after.txt

Now after reboot I want to compare both the files (netstat_output_before.txt and netstat_output_after.txt) to check all the network configurations are same as previous one.

Now my question is which option I should use in place of <some_option> so that it will list all the current network settings.

Presumably you ran something like:

# Find out the interfaces configured
lanscan -ai
# Find out the IP address etc.
ipfconfig <interface>
# Find out current statistics
netstat -i -I <interface>

The comparison:

diff netstat_output_before.txt netstat_output_after.txt

Similar comparison for any of the network configuration files you saved.

If you are doing a software upgrade of some sort it might be an idea to save a copy of the output from swlist -v so you know where you started from.

1 Like

Thanks methyl

Using commands mentioned above were really helpful in comparing the configurations before/after downtime.

Everything went well :slight_smile: