Backing up the system

Hello Mentors,

Before anything else I would like to thanks to all expert here especially Pressy as he guided me to recover our server from disk failure. I posted a lot of question from these forum site concerning on how to recover our server and luckly you guys help me. Our server is now up and running.

Now I'm planning to have a backup on the system like the configurations, settings and everything in the tape so that if there is a hardware problem we could easily restore from it. I just would like to ask particullarly on how to backup our system I have a litle knowledge doing tar but I need your expertise to guide me so that we can have 100% backup.

SUN version 5.6
By the way here is our cofiguration:

dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0 579302 208070 313302 40% /
/dev/dsk/c0t3d0s6 192423 154245 18936 90% /usr
/proc 0 0 0 0% /proc
fd 0 0 0 0% /dev/fd
/dev/dsk/c0t3d0s7 47975 293 42885 1% /export/home
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s7 4358594 853645 3461364 20% /ford
/dev/dsk/c0t2d0s7 70586735 47844704 22036164 69% /bulk
swap 321756 192 321564 1% /tmp

How do I backup the system what is the best coomand?

thanks in advance

do you have a tape drive attached? if so, just use ufsdump...so easy and convenient. Stick the file in cron and stick the following in the file.

clear
mt rewind
echo " THE TAPE IS REWINDING ....." > /var/adm/backlog
ARCH=/home/homedir
echo ""
echo " Backup start...." >> /var/adm/backlog
date >> /var/adm/backlog
ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0cn /
echo "/ is done " >> /var/adm/backlog
ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0cn /usr
echo "/usr is done " >> /var/adm/backlog
ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0cn /export/home
echo "/export/home is done " >> /var/adm/backlog
ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0cn /home
echo "/home is done " >> /var/adm/backlog
ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0cn /ford
echo "/ford is done " >> /var/adm/backlog
ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0cn /bulk
echo "/bulk is done " >> /var/adm/backlog
echo ""
echo "THE FULL SYSTEM BACKUP IS COMPLETED"
echo "THE FULL SYSTEM BACKUP IS COMPLETED" >> /var/adm/backlog
date >> /var/adm/backlog
echo "PLEASE REMOVE THE TAPE AND STORE IT IN A SAFE LOCATION"

You can modify it as needed with additional timestamps & more mount points.

Hope that helps...try it out line by line before you implement the script version. That way you know it works from beginning to end for your specific server.

-S

Thanks for the reply and the script that you have made. About the backup how will I able to check on the tape that they have all the system on there instead of seeing the backlog file. Also is it included the /etc on the backup

thank you very much

sower thank for helping me :0

Well in the man page is written that ufsdump must be used on unmounted file systems or mounted read only...

I would like to make a back-up of one Solaris10 HDD and just discovered ufsdump and fssnap.

Since I have to use only nfs shares what is the best to use with a running system?

Is there any way to back-up the entire "partition" at once or I have to back-up folder by folder like in Sowser example?

Tank you!

when you are doing backups, you need to back up the partitions. There isnt a way as far as i know to just wack the whole system with a backup. You usually have to back up each individual file system with some sort of backup mechanism, in this case a ufsdump. you can use ufsrestore to check the actual files loaded on the tape. you can check the man pages for more detail about it.

just as an FYI, you can just stick that script in cron and have the system backed up weekly or something like that.

yes, /etc/will be backed up if you back up the file system it is under, usually /

hope that helps.

-S

Not very clear for me...

The example is for back-up in tape device.

I have no tape. Just some nfs shares... And a running system.

How can I back-up an entire partition/slice(if disk is not possible)?

Tnx!