awk - print columns with text and spaces

Hi,

I'm using awk to print columns from a tab delimited text file:

awk '{print " "$2" "$3" $6"}' file

The problem I have is column 6 contains text with spaces etc which means awk only prints the first word.

How can I tell awk to print the whole column content as column 6?

Thanks,

How are your columns separated?

Can you post a sample input?

Hi,

Sorry!

The following sample is similar:

Col1             Col2         Col3               Col4

09:12:37      host2       OFFLINE       host2 is offline and has been for 7 minutes
09:23:15      host1       ONLINE        host1 is online

Column 4 is the column with the spaces similar to column 6 in my original question.

Thanks,

Hi Keenboy,

I assumed that col1, col2, col3 and col4 are separated by tabs and col4 has spaces.

The following command print one empty column before col1 and after col4

awk -F"\t" '{print " "$1" "$2" "$3" "$4" "}' file

use awk -F'\t' ... to set the field separator to tabs

Sorry again!

It's a weird file. Column 1 and 2 are separated by a space, 2 and 3 seem to separated by a tab (or 4 spaces)....

It's very inconsistent.

Would it be best replacing all white spaces with a comma except the spaces in the column containing the text and then print with awk? :confused:

You can define your FS to be strictly composed of 2 or more space characters whick will let you yank off the 6th field intact...

awk -F" {2,}" '{print $2, $3, $6}' file
2 Likes

Thanks Shamrock, I'm getting closer!

My problem now is column 1 and 2 are separated by a space! If only I could use your solution and separate 1 and 2 as well and I'll be sorted.

I'll keep digging.

Thanks for all of your help :b:

Note: not every awk understands the {,} repetition operators, out of the box. mawk does not know them and gawk 3 needs an option to switch them on ( --re-interval or --posix ). An alternative would be to alternatively use two spaces followed by a + operator.
If we combine that with alternation ( | ), we get:

awk -F '  +|\t' '{print $2, $3, $4}' file

which, combined with the input from post #3 gives:

Col2 Col3 Col4

host2 OFFLINE host2 is offline and has been for 7 minutes
host1 ONLINE host1 is online

--edit--
If the separator between the first two fields is a single space you could add and exception like this:

awk -F '  +|\t' '{split($1,F,/[ ]/); print F[2], $2, $3}' file

Another option could be to get the columns based on spacing, rather than character delimited. For example, in your example data above, you could print the 1st & 4th column like such:

perl -lne '@m = /(.{14})(.{12})(.{14})(.*)/; print $m[0].$m[3]' file

In that case you'd have split up $1 into its sub-fields...

awk -F"  +" '{printf("%s %s %s\n", a[split($1, a, " ")], $2, $5)}' file