awk and sed, how to exclude certain characters

Hello everyone:

I have ran into this a few times now where my skills are just not up to snuff when it comes to Unix. So, I came here to find some beard stroking Unix wizard to help me.

Basically, I am using OS X 10.5 in large scale at work and sometimes I have to run some custom reports. One in particular is gathering up all the MAC addresses of the Airport card. This is rather simple, and easy to do via a very simple shell script.

However, I want to pull out the colons of the MAC so it is just the alpha numeric characters left.

How would I exclude the ":" completely from the output of my script by pipping out sed or awk? I understand and can use sed and awk on a really basic level.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Basically this should help:

hello tlarkin..
if you simply have to remove colons ":" from the input why not use tr.
#echo <your input> | tr -d ':'
### done ###

P.S. I HATE MACS :slight_smile:
Regards :slight_smile:

<your command>|sed 's/\:confused: /g'

Thanks everyone, I will try this first thing Monday if time permits. I am also starting to write custom launch agents that run once a day, collect certain data and then echo it out to a particular log file. So, my department can look at data when certain things fail or go wrong and try to come up with trends to mitigate the actual issue.

PS - Don't hate on Macs! :slight_smile:

Hi
You can even use jstrangfeld command without \

like this

<your command>|sed 's/:confused: /g'