automating username / password entry

I have a database that contains a list of server names, and the password for the root user on several servers (100+). I need to verify the passwords for each of the servers in an automated fashion because the database continues to grow. All of the users that I'm going to test are ROOT. I can't use keys and I can't necessarily use Perl because not every server has it installed and the ones that don't...i can't install it on them. So I was considering using the EXPECT command to get this done.

I have a file that looks like this:
server1 password
server2 password
etc...

What I want to happen (in my head this is how I see it working anyway) is that I run the script and the script reads my file (named login_pass.txt), logs into the 1st server and when prompted it supplies the associated password. If the password fails I would like to have the failures outputed somehow so that I can make a note of them and eventually go back and fix them.

Here is the code that I have come up with so far...

#!/bin/bash
#!/usr/bin/expect -f
FILE=login_pass.txt
HOSTS=`awk '{print $1}' $FILE`
PASS=`awk '{print $2}' $FILE`
for x in $HOSTS;do
expect "root@$HOSTS:"
ssh -C -q root@$HOSTS "hostname;date /"
#expect "root@$HOSTS:"
send -- "$PASS \r"
send -- "\r"
done
expect eof

I'm really new to scripting in unix so I know I'm doing something wrong and hopefully something easilly fixed. Can someone help me out on this? Also if there is a better way to do this please let me know as I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks for the help!

I'm not too good with expect/send, so assuming that part is correct, you just need to modify the part that reads in the user/pass variables:

cat $FILE |
while read HOST PASS ; do
done