Auto-backup script

hello guys
i need a script to automatically backup a whole directory in linux like

/var/www

and the whole sql db

and upload to an ftp server daily (as a cron job)

is there something like this? I read about rsync but I don't know if it will suit this.

Hi,

You'll have to be a bit more specific here, decide what you want from your backup solution and depending on requirements and budget make a more detailed request.

Regards

Gull04

I fully second gull04 in that people in here need more info to start from. There have been many similar if not identical requests in here in the recent weeks; try searching for them to get to a good starting point.

You also need to consider, if you lose the whole server for some reason (physical loss, corrupt boot disk etc.) then how do you recover?

You do need to specify clearly what you have (output from uname -a to get us started perhaps) and what part you need to be recoverable. Remember that the backup is easy, it's restoring that's a problem if you didn't get the backup process correct and complete. It is vital to test your restore process.

Robin

are there freelancers on this forum that can code something for me like this?

We are an educational forum, not a coding service.

Yes- you can use Rsync. Works for backup and restore. Cron is perfect for this.
There are some neat things you can do with a bash script utilizing Rsync, including timestamped file versioning.
Don't forget to create a permanent mount entry in your /etc/fstab for the target FTP server to make things easy