ArchLinux - GUI (DE) set to boot up

Okay I'am not using ArchLinux but one of girlfreinds needs it (or it recommend by her work) and she need a desktop - so how do we do so the computer boot up with GUI instead of console ? - I'am a newbie to Arch so I have no idea, is it like SlackWare where you change the inittab file or is it some thing for advance ? pleas help

Thanks in advance:

• Me and her

Well, does it even have one installed? Linux doesn't operate in "console mode" or "window mode", a GUI's just a program like any other -- it's quite possible you didn't install one.

Or maybe you meant that you have one, but it doesn't autostart. Hard to tell from your question, but since you say you're new, I'm guessing not.

---------- Post updated at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:45 PM ----------

Google suggests this. They're actually doing the opposite but it shows how Arch does it -- init 5 for GUI, init 3 for console

We have chosen to install KDE package's doing the installation, if that is what you mean - and sorry for calling it console mode - but that is what my old teacher called it and some things just sticks

Does it start properly manually? It may not be coming up because it's not working.

if I use startx then I can start KDE

Sounds like it's the inittab thing then, yeah. Could you post your /etc/inittab with comments and so forth stripped out? In [ code ] code tags [ /code ] please.

Eeh not right now - she is in Southern Germnay and I'am in mid Denmark...
But we have change nothing in it

Yes.... and perhaps you do need to change something.

I know I need to change something... But what... I will see after Christmas when she comes home - any ways thanks foryour help so far :smiley:

I already suggested your /etc/inittab and linked a thread about it. If that's not enough, or that doesn't work, you could try pasting your /etc/inittab here for us to look at.

Sorry I could not se the link in safari (normally I use Mac) - But thanks so much for your help :slight_smile: