apt-get package manager capability

Hi List,

Recently I was doing some toubleshooting installing a package on a Redhat 6 machine using the the installer script which came with that package and I got an error message telling me that a file was missing indicating that I had to google for the dependancies and install them before this application could complete its installation script.

A solution I found was that instead of googling for the package which contained the missing file and then installing that package using yum, I simply used yum to install the missing file, and it aautomatically looked up the package which contained that file and installed it with a line like the following:

yum install /usr/lib/foo.bar.so.6

My question which relates to debian, is there any way of issuing a command line as simple as this which automatically finds and installs the correct missing package for the file using apt-get or something?

thanks,

steve

There is something very wrong with your example. The yum install option installs packages - not individual files.

As far as apt-get is concerned, have a look at the --fix-broken and the --fix-missing options.

Hi Thanks for this,

But that example works by installing the distribution shipped package which the file belongs to. So you only have to specify the full filepath of the file to install the corresponding package of which it belongs. Pretty cool hey?