Applying Recommended Patch Cluster to Whole Root Zone

Hi there,

Apologies if this question has been asked and answered already but I've not been able to find the thread.

Question: Is it possible to apply the Solaris 10 Recommended Patch Cluster to a whole root (non-global) zone locally? I.E. apply the patch cluster from the non-global in single-user mode without having to do it from the global zone.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
N

1 Like

You should apply the patch to the global zone in single user mode. The patch software is smart enough to know there are zones on the system and will patch those zones as well. When the patch completes, perform a reconfiguration reboot if documented in the patch installation instructions.

I used this method on the last 2 Solaris CPUs.

HTH

1 Like

Thanks for replying, bluescreen.
I know that applying the cluster to the global zone will also include non-global zones :slight_smile:

My question was aimed at trying to apply the patch cluster to only the non-global zone without touching the global zone. Sounds highly unusual but I only as ask my non-global zone is non-prod and the global zone is prod which I can't play with during the week.

Cheers!

you can patch the local zone only... but the kernel is shared with the global zone. so, the KJP can only be installed in the global zone and the dependend patches also...