Anybody wants to help a complete Noob?

Hello there, first post here so go easy on me! :smiley:

I just aquired an old HP 9000 Dclass d220 server, all I know is that it's running HP-UX, and it appears to boot fine (I see the modules loading, etc..)

Now, I have been an MS guy all my life (yeah I know, make fun of me), so I really have no idea when it comes to anything UNIX related.

First question (and this had to come from an MS guy, right?), any GUI at all on HP-UX? and if so, how do I bring it up?

I only ask because if I can at least have a GUI I'm pretty sure I can figure out a thing or two, it's just though to be presented with a blinking cursor when you don;t even know one command!:smiley:

Thanks to any kind soul who helps me

What version of HP-UX have you got? The default GUI is probably CDE (Common Desktop Environment).

1 Like

In the very last line it says:

GenericSysName [HP release B.11.00]

Does that help?

Yes it helps... and its not that bad...
You are a happy owner of a brave little box that at the time could do miracles (compared to win...).
What do you want to do with it?
All I can see is : LEARN HP-UX!

I doubt you can do much more for I'm sure any other than HP software has been removed...

About GUI... To my knowledge these servers were sold as small apps/RDBMS servers and had no graphic cards in standard and in Europe I'm not sure it existed as option...
Where I work, one D220 is still in production (with HP-UX 10.20 because of legacy oracle 7.2 /forms 3...) and have in my garage 2 d260...
Now if all HP-UX is installed you have X11...
You didn't say what you used as console, a HP 700/96 ?
You should configure a little intranet at home where you could access this box from your PC using a X emulator/server software if you have only a winXX PC .
Once you got your private lan working, come back for your first lesson on configuring!

HP-UX 11.00 was released in November 1997 and went end of life in February 2005. You can access the reference manuals at HP-UX Reference Manuals

Thanks a lot man!!

All I have it's the server itself, the monitor/keyboard/mouse, so I was sitting right in front of it, from what I know it used to run "Convergence" an accounting software of sorts, whcih was accessed by windows computers through terminal emulators.

Does this thing gets its IP adress from a DHCP server? How would I even know if it's set to a static IP?

Are there any "modern" OS'es whcih would run on it? I believe i saw something about LINUX?

So may questions!! :slight_smile:

But I guess I should start from the begining...

1- Choose Os
2- Install from scratch, then go from there

Again, thanks man

Linux will run on almost anything, HPUX is much more picky. It's also expensive and not easy to get. This may be more useful as an HPUX educational machine, while it lasts.

If you're interested in UNIX administration, learning to deal with it without the GUI is a good idea. Sadly I don't know where to begin with HPUX, never having touched one myself.

[quote=marvio;302568531]
Does this thing gets its IP adress from a DHCP server? How would I even know if it's set to a static IP?

[quote/]

System Administration Manager SAM would answer most of your questions when it comes to network settings in HP-UX.

$sam

For the other questions I'm not sure

I'm surprised when you say keyboard console and mouse, I know theses boxes for having worked with since the first one was out (D200) here in 1995...
So can you tell me what console you have and where is the mouse connected?
These servers had HP pinned large RS232 entry for the console (HP 700/95 or 96). in emulation (reflection for hp or X) you would choose hpterm to have the screen/keymap of such terminals.
That said you could use a VT100 (just a question of config...).
So does it have a graphic card then?

First congrats for acquiring one very good peace of hardware history.

Most importantly can you actually log in? I mean do you have the root credentials? Because without them you can pretty much just look at the box :).

Here are some tips for administrating it(yes it have network configuration too)
Pocket Survival Guide - HP-UX

You can find some software for it here
Porting And Archive Centre For HP-UX

It is a really good idea to use sam for the initial configuration as already mentioned.

Installing Linux on it is possible but you can install Linux on anything and HP-UX runs only on specific hardware like yours.