Antivirus

I have fedora 15 lovelock. I need an antivirus for internet security. Which will be the best..

Plz suggest.

In most cases you don't need antivirus on Fedora or other Linux distributions. Most of viruses are for Windows, so it is more relevant if you have server with Windows clients.

That i know. its not about general viruses m talking abt... but to prevent from keyblogger n all what should be done?

I'm curious. If you're so concerned with vulnerabilities, why are you running an operating system which no longer receives security updates?

In case that question is misinterpreted, I am not being a smartass. It's a legitimate question (sometimes admins have good reasons for not moving on).

Regards,
Alister

It's hard to infect linux with a keylogger for the same reason it's hard to infect it with a virus. It'd take pretty silly security settings for such a thing to work at all in the first place -- user-readable device files, and such.

At my last employer we had a Solaris based FTP server (but had it been Linux, the story would not change much) that we used to distribute files to our customers. Most of our customers used Windows based products. Many of the files we distributed were created by our employees also on Windows based products. On several occaisions a file with a virus was deposited on our FTP server. We then distributed the infected file to our customers. We had no way to scan our FTP repository for viruses and thus we were under pressure to "upgrade" to Windows so that we could scan for viruses. I left the company before that happened but it looked like that was the direction they were headed. Our customers would call us to inform us that our FTP server was infected. Who could argue with them? This is why I was disappointed that I could not find a Unix based virus scanner.

I currently run RedHat in a shop with lots of Windows stuff. I would like a virus scanner too. For example, I might have a harmless seeming pdf file on my RedHat workstation that would cause a nightmare if I copied it to my Windows workstation. This is NOT totally hypothetical, most Windows malware that has hit us recently came in via pdf files.

1 Like

You can mount the repo in your local windows machine and do the antivirus scan based on your wish.

This is like a work arround you can ...

perderabo I agree with u. its quite dangerous even using adobe reader. It seems the version which is 10.0 or less than 10 it has a security issues with it.

The only thing dangerous are the Windows vulnerabilities. As long as you do not have to serve Windows clients you can forget about virus scanners.

If you have indeed to cope with Windows clients, use ClamAV - it will run on a Linux platform and scan for Windows viruses. Most commonly it is used on mail gateways, FTP servers and similar passageways from intra- to inernet.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

I use uvscan for my Solaris, RHEL and Susie servers. I think it is also called the McAfee Command line scanner. Our windows servers use HBSS/ePolicy which has a AV that works on Linux as well. The process on a Linux machine is called nail.

UNIX/Linux servers still need a AV, because i it was said above your server can be a host for windows viruses. Also UNIX/Linux/BSD systems can be attacked with cross site scripting attacks.

I hope this helps.

An AV won't be much help against a scripting attack.

It will if the attack places viruses on the system.