Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...

I'm trying to install wireshark on Fedora(latest version with gnome3) and I keep getting the above error. I keep killing the offending process after finding it's pid using "ps aux | grep yum", but the same process spawns again with a different pid. root 1605 0.0 3.4 54424 26228 ? SN 10:51 0:02 /usr/bin/python /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py get-updates none How can I properly kill this process, or use yum to install wireshark properly?

I'm not a proponent of Yumex or the Yum back end. I don't think that a GUI installer is important to the majority of Fedoras users so they don't have a serious GUI package front for Yum . Yum works well by its self though. I believe Yum updates the Package base every time it is used which makes it slow. Mandriva's urpmi is way faster as a reference. When yum is blocked it also creates a file that locks out other Yum processes from starting. I don't however know where it is kept. I understand if you delete the file it acts as killing the process. If (yum install whatever) won't work you might try adding package mirrors through Fusion or try for a RPM file through pbone. Do a web search on Pbone Rpm file wireshark.:wink: It is not hard to use yum in the bash prompt and is well worth learning because Yum backend is not Fedora's strong point in my opinion.