Amber Lights + Remote Servers

Ok, so we get reports from operations after they do walk throughs about servers with amber or red lights showing. They want us to resolve the issues. On Solaris I can run prtdiag to identify the amber lights and clear them (replace hardware or "reboot" the daemon).

How do I remotely figure out what the amber light is telling me on a linux box (Red Hat and SuSE) so I can address the issue?

Thanks.

Carl

I thin you mean with amber and red lights some warning led's on the server itself... and I think you mean with a "walk trhough" that they walk in the server room an check if warning lights are blinking on the severs...... correct?

To give you a good answer, please tell me what brand of server are you using? We have a large number of Compaq DL380 and DL360 servers up and running and Compaq is providing the hpasmcli command to check everthing on hardware level and check if there are lights blinking on your hardware.

"hpasmcli is a scriptable command line interface for interacting with the hpasmd or hpasmxld management daemons. It is used to view/set/modify BIOS settings such as hyperthreading, boot control, and UID LEDs. It can also be used to display hardware status, such as fans, power supplies, etc.

The CLI supports TAB completion of command names and has a history buffer that can be accessed using the up/down arrows.

In addition to the command line interface, hpasmcli also supports a mode that is usable for incorporating into basic shell scripts. The return value of hpasmcli in script mode can be used to verify a command executed successfully. If multiple commands are executed, only the status of the last command is returned to the shell. As an example, the following first executes the ´SHOW SERVER´ command to retrieve basic system information, and next reads the status of the UID."

prtdiag, is a tool from SUN that is working with SUN4U hardware....

So dependingon your hardware you have to find a tool that is working for you. If you provide me your hardware brand and type I might be able to find something for you.

Please let us know.

Regards,
Johan Louwers.