I have used FreeBSD for sometime now and i find it great lest its ACPI support
My Question is for a recent laptop
AMD TURION X2 2GHZ TL-60 Tyler
3GB RAM
8400M G
Are there any other GUIs that is great with these specs
I have been using GNOME lite
I hate KDE because of the K
What will i lose if i switch to Blackbox or other GUIS from GNOME instead in terms of functionality? What will i gain? Is it worth it?

Hello, in Gnome I like VFS. Network manager is also useful, but it's not Gnome dependent. I've used IceWM and Xfce4 and I liked them very much. You can give them a try - IceWM configuration is stored in plain text files. It's very lightweight and very stable. This is one of my favorite WMs.
Xfce4 is not so spartan - it's configured with GUI tools, looks like gnome but has less features.... So in my opinion you will not loose very much but it's a personal choice:)

GNOME and KDE are Desktop Environments. Blackbox, Fluxbox, and other *boxen are (floating) Window Managers. Ratpoison and StumpWM are (tiling) Window Managers.

I like Fluxbox, and I *really* love StumpWM. It's all a matter of preference. I suggest you look at screenshots and feature lists and try a few of them, then make up your mind.

I use Xfce4 for my "main" desktop box. It's very "Gui-ish", and my one issue with it is that there is little support for keyboard shortcuts. If, for some reason, your mouse dies, as one of mine did recently, there's hardly any way to gracefully manipulate Xfce.

Fluxbox is also very nice, and my preferred GUI for lightweight machines.

I'm sure you are aware, but since you already have gnome installed, you can simultaneously install other desktop environments and/or windows managers and select which one you want to start when you get to the gnome login screen. Gnome uses gdm (I think that stands for gnome display manager), instead of xorg's xdm, or kde's kdm, which is configured through /etc/ttyv.conf, I think, to allow selection of whichever manager you want at login. So, you can try out several and decide which you like the best and get rid of the rest...or keep a couple that each do specific things to your liking.

I have tried kde3, kde4, gnome2.2, xfce4, and blackbox. I like gnome2.2 the best, for the full desktop environment. After that it's xfce4, minimal, but enough. I have tried to get used to kde4, while I was running PCBSD7, but I just don't like it. I like a little more than blackbox offers. Went back to plain vanilla FreeBSD7.1 with gnome2. I'm happy.

Tony