Alternate for wget

Hi,

Whats the alternate for

wget

in HP-UX ?

wget-1.13.4

I dont have wget on my HP-UX nor am I having any priviledges to install it.

Hence I am looking for an alternate to wget on HP-UX.

Please suggest.

Hi.

You could look for:

NAME
       curl - transfer a URL

SYNOPSIS
       curl [options] [URL...]

DESCRIPTION
       curl is a tool to transfer data from or to a server, using one of the
       supported protocols (HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, FTPS, SCP, SFTP, TFTP, DICT,
       TELNET, LDAP or FILE).  The command is designed to work without user
       interaction.

but more importantly, almost any *nix utility can be kept in your HOME structure, so you don't need to have permission to install code in the system. Other users might not be able to use that code, but that doesn't sound like the primary goal here. This all means that, provided you had the knowledge, you could keep your own copy of wget and other utilities in a directory under your HOME, and use them as you wish. For example, I have almost 50 such items in a directory I call executable. Perhaps a friend can help you with such a task. That way you are not limited by what the system administrators install or omit.

I should add that this can require a fair amount of work on your part, but the results provide a certain amount of independence.

Finally, alternatives to wget and curl might be a simple script in perl / python / tcl, etc., that can copy from a URL to a local file.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

Original thread here, as well as various thread hijacks.

Bumping up posts or double posting is not permitted in these forums.

Please read the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

You may receive an infraction for this. If so, don't worry, just try to follow the rules more carefully. The infraction will expire in the near future

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums.