Altering a jar file

I have a script I am trying to test and run but it runs against a jar file. I wrote an external property file so it would redirect with my script, but it keeps going in search of the previous property file. Is there any way to externally over write the jar file and if not how do you go about altering a jar file and its properties?

jar is an archive format, which you can access or alter with the jar utility. See man jar.

I had already tried doing that but it tells me the manual entry for jar is not found or not installed.

Yes, unix.com does not have the manual page either. Hopefully the link I put in my post is more helpful.

So if I can't run man jar from the command line, will I still be able to use any of this that's part of the link seeing how it tells me jar can't be found or is not installed?

If you don't have it, you'd probably want to install it. If you can't install it on that computer, try using a computer where you can.

It's my work computer so I can't and for what I need to do I need to be able to do it on this computer, so is there any other options other than that?

Copy the file to another computer, edit it, copy it back.