alt clone

I have two identical systems p740 with 2 lpars in each server. I dont want to install os from scratch on each lpar neither I want to use nim nor mksysb. Will it work perfectly if I install a fresh OS on 1 lpar and do alt disk clone for other lpras. My each lpar is having 2 physical disks.
Now if I do disk clone then on first server how do i remove the alt rootvg entry cause i have moved the hdisk1 from 1st server to 2 server. Do i need to just export the vg alternate rootvg. Its just for testing.

Regards,

VJM

If it is for testing, as you say, why don't you just try it and tell us how it works?

I have no idea why one wouldn't want

because this is the easiest and fastest way to do this. Arguably, using NIM takes some preparation, but mksysb takes next to no preparation at all and will produce fast, reliable and "well-formed" results.

Your proposed solution, even if it works, will gain you nothing in terms of time to do it or reliability/desirability of the results. So i suggest to think it over. As long you do not present a really convincing argument (which i, even racking my brain, am not able to conceive) for why you want to forego some supported IBM ways in favour of something which might "also work" at best i suppose your logic to be flawed from the beginning.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Hi,

Yes you are right it takes almost 30 min. its noway different from restoring sys backup. The main purpose is we have received 2 p740 with all 8Gfcs and 10G n/e cards without tape or RDX dirve. I have created 4 lpars and want to install os. We do not have 10G switch for that I have to wait for 4 to 5 days. So i tried this till ew get 10G switch.
So i have done this and was very successful. I have to delete alternate rootvg from source system and need to delete cards from target system and run config manger.

Regards,

VJM