Alert / Monitoring / Historial Data Open Source

hi guys

my boss asked me for a tool to monitor and alert my Linux boxes... and some Win boxes... but not only monitor for high CPU Usage, hign memory usage and so on....he also wants a tool for historical data I mean something like

I want to know the CPU Usage and memory usage for the last week... so I want a tool that can provide me that kind of information...

is too to ask?

thanks a lot

you might say Nagios, Cacti, but I am not sure for instance if nagios can collect historial data and if Cacti can send alerts?

any other similar that can accomplish both activities and open source or free?

thanks a lot

Put it into a database for trending. You need a cron job or looping script or program to collect the stats to a file on each host, and if possible move unloaded rows to the database. On unix, vmstat is can do some of this for you, periodically. df with the right options does space, space available. Swap can make space disappear from /tmp if they are shared, so something to sum up all swap space use is good. Does top work in batch? I use ps -le or ps -eo <some-opts> to look at individual app swap sizes. Windows is a separate discussion.