do
   fname=${fname/(sysdate)/$TIMESTAMP}

if [ -f $location1/$fname ]; then
      echo " $fname exists in $location1" > $log_file
   else
   # ...
   fi
done < $master_file_list

With TIMESTAMP=$(date "+%Y%m%d%H%M%S") I doubt that any files are matched when "sysdate is the date of that day".
Your $log_file will be overwritten with every new redirection.
After sending $mail_body , you spend quite some effort to create another one never to be used.

cat $master_file_list|awk '{ print $1 }'| while read fname
  do ...
  done

could be replaced by

while read fname DUMMY
  do ...
  done < $master_file_list

I don't see any way to guess at what unspecified magic will translate:

Name in /scripts/data/file_list.ind	Actual name to use
===================================	==========================================================
file.txt				file_claim_(systemdate)_mly.dat
file2.txt				file_claim(systemdate)_mly.bz2
and so on				file_claimSomeStringMaybe(systemdate)_mly.AbsolutelyNoIdea
...					???

And, you have given us no indication of what format is used to display your systemdate ... could it be: DayOfWeek, MonthName DayOfMonth, Year; YYYYMMDD; MM-DD-YYYY; or something very complicated like MM/DD/YYYY (which is a pathname, not a filename)? Of course, if you use the 1st form of systemdate above your (unneeded) awk script won't work. And, with parentheses in your file names (and, especially if you include <space>s in your file names), you absolutely have to quote all expansions of the variable(s) that contain those file names.

All of the uses of cat and awk in your script should be removed to make your script more efficient. And expansions of all of your variables should be quoted. But, without a clear definition of the mapping of the filenames in /scripts/data/file_list.ind to the filenames you need to process, there isn't much we can do to help you fix your code.

You haven't said what operating system or shell you're using. From your definition of the variable _ID , I would assume you're using a Solaris/SunOS system and that you are not using /bin/sh as your shell (since you're using the $(command) form of command substitution). If you're using a Solaris 10 system and ksh (which on Solaris 10 is a 1988 version of the Korn shell) as your shell, the variable substitutions suggested by Chubler_XL in post #2 won't work. Any time you post a shell script and ask for help modifying it, please tell us what operating system (including the version) and shell you're using so we can make suggestions that will work in your environment.

Thank you for your reply.i did take your suggestion removed Cat command and did below modifications and its working now
file_list.ind file like this:

file_claim_(sysdate)_mly.dat
file_claim(sysdate)_mly.bz2

Then in you script do this:

DAT="dat"
while read fname
do
   fname=${fname/(sysdate)/$TIMESTAMP}

if [ -f $location1/$fname*$DAT ]; then
      echo " $fname.dat exists in $location1" > $log_file
   else
   # ...
   fi

It's working fine for

file_claim_(sysdate)_mly.dat 

But not for

file_claim_(sysdate)_mly.bz2  

I did add else if condition for bz2 file it does not seem to work .i just wanna trigger alert if both of these doesn't exist or any one from both name should be printed in mail I am sending.

---------- Post updated at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:34 PM ----------

Thank you for your reply.
I am just new to shell script trying my best to make things work .i will try to answer your questions.Yes I did remove cat and awk My requirement is simple I will be receiving files daily in directory /apps/data and format of files will be SOME_TEXT_SYSDATE(YYYYMMDD)_number(0-9)_of_mly.dat and one more file SOME_TEXT_SYSDATE(YYYYMMDD)_number(0-9)_of_mly.bz2 .Number in file name is random it can be anything.I need to generate alert with missing file name if single or both files are missing.I am using Linux OS.

---------- Post updated at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:49 PM ----------

There is change in format of file
SOME_TEXT_SYSDATE(YYYYMMDD)_number(0-9)_of_mly.bz2 we have random number between (0-9) in file name.

I'd propose you post some representative samples from real data / structures and detailed error messages so we can stop wild guesses and start analysing and eventually solving the problem. You may want to run the script with the -x (xtrace) option set so everybody can see what is going on.

Look at the text marked in red from your post above. Note that the names you are using are inconsistent. If you are looking for a filename with an underscore between claim and today's date, you won't find it using a pattern that does not have an underscore in that position. (Close may count in horseshoes; but not in programming. :slight_smile: )