AIX to access Windows share

Are there any special requirements/tools needed for a AIX server to see (copy data) a Windows share? Only need 1-way copy (Windows-to-AIX).

Hi,

You need to install bos.cifs_fs package.
Keep in mind that if you want to mount Windows7/Server2008 share, packages I mentioned should be >=TL4(AIX 6.1).

Vilius

1 Like

Is bos.cifs_fs package native to AIX (v6.1)? Windows OS is W2K3 R2 SP2 ENT 32 bit.

Yes it should be on your AIX CDs.

V

So No Samba required for AIX to access Windows share? Was told conflicing views. It was my understanding that Samba would only be requred if Windows needed to access files on a AIX sever, not in the direction I note (AIX to access Windows share). Is the previous correct?

Well I never used Samba. I assume Samba is like full solution to do much more than mounting fs over network.
If I need to do simle mount in whatever direction I do:
AIX->Windows cifs
Windows->AIX nfs
To my opinion it's much easier to install single package on your important AIX box than configure Samba.
For example to mount windows share on AIX using cifs:

mount -v cifs -n serverip/username/password /sharename /localmountpoint

Smith path:
"smit->Communications Applications and Services->cifs_fs for AIX"

V

Your understanding is correct. Samba sets up a pseudo windows share on a Unix (not only AIX) server which can be seen and written to by authorised users on a Windows domain. Samba can be quite difficult to setup but once complete works perfectly well.

I have never attempted to mount a Windows shared drive onto an AIX machine so I can be of no help to you there.

Once you have the "bos.cifs_fs" fileset installed, this is the command to mount the Windows share:

mount -v cifs -n rmt_hostname/rmt_user/rmte_password /rmt_share /mnt/windows

If you want it to auto-mount at boot time, use the "mkcifsmnt" command. It will add an entry into your /etc/filesystems file. If you are authenticating be sure to use a the "-w yourdomain" argument or you will never get it to authenticate (I speak from experience). Also, once your entry is in the /etc/filesystems file, you need to add the password to the "nodename" line like this and it should automount after reboots.

nodename    = windows.domain.com/username/password

You might want to read this posting for a short explanation on how Samba, NFS, TCP/IP and NetBIOS are all connected.

I hope this helps.

bakunin