AIX pre-loaded, no license

Hi,
I've found some old threads on AIX licensing, but still not sure:
I'd like to get some used pSeries box for hands-on AIX learning. If somebody on eBay offers a box with $subj - what problems/limitations (technical, not legislative) I could expect? Is this system usable for my intention?

Thanks for reading

Yes, most probably it will be. IBM usually doesn't "sell" AIX as a separate product, it is always bundled with the hardware. If you buy a new pSeries workstation you will notice AIX mentioned as a separate item but at the cost of 0,-.

That means in turn that for every IBM workstation sold there is an AIX license sold. Nobody would have any reason to withhold this license as he sells the hardware because

It might be that you get a machine on eBay which is not able to run the latest versions of AIX (for instance, the 43P-140 is only able to run AIX 5.1 or older). Check carefully the model you purchase therefore. On the other hand if you need it only for learning purposes you could well go with 5.1 or even 4.3.3, because these are not that much different from 5.3 or 6.x - not from a beginners POV.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Thank you, bakunin,
you have calmed me...