AIX OS bit info

Hi All,

How do i find a bit info whether 32 bit or 64 bit of AIX operating system?

Please help

R

Check with two commands

bootinfo -y verify the hardware
bootinfo -K verify the kernel

I hope this help

Yes 'bootinfo -y " will work

You can also see by the file '/unix'

I am sorry that I didnt't tell that bootinfo was not working for me.

bootinfo -y
ksh: bootinfo: 0403-006 Execute permission denied.

Request you to suggest any other alternatives.

Regards,
R

Check the permission of /usr/sbin/bootinfo it should be 550 normally.

You can also check by "ls -l /unix" it will give you like
'/unix -> /usr/lib/boot/unix_64' which means it is 64 bit.

Some commands are meant for root only. As normal user you need to use AIX's public APIs. The AIX default tool for extracting system information is prtconf aka lsconf since AIX 4.3.3. Among other information it returns the CPU Type i.e. whether the hardware is 32-Bit or 64-Bit and the Kernel Type i.e. what kernel you use.
In case you want to use this output in a script that runs with user privileges only you could also look into the lsconf script and you will find that it uses getsystype under the hood. Getsystype is some sort of a sudo wrapper i.e. it allows users to retrieve information that otherwise could be retrieved by root only. E.g. with getsystype -y you get what root gets with bootinfo -y i.e. what hardware you are using and with getsystype -K you get what root gets with bootinfo -K i.e. which kernel you are using.
Looking at the links to /unix as some other poster sugested is useless though as this link can be changed and you might be using a 32-Bit kernel while the links point to the 64-Bit kernel which would be used after the next reboot only or vice versa.

Thank you for quick and detailed response.

Here are few commands I summarised.

getconf HARDWARE_BITMODE - for hard ware
getconf KERNEL_BITMODE - for kernel
/usr/sbin/prtconf -c
bootinfo -k or -y