AIX Networking Issue

Hello,

I'm trying to set up an internet connection on an IBM RS/6000 7043-140 machine with AIX v 5.1. The problem is that no matter if it is setup to receive an IP address from another DHCP server or has a static IP set, it seems to act as a DHCP server that assigns a random IP address with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 to computers already connected to the network, breaking their internet connection. I have tried disabling various services relating to network servers but it still does the same thing. This is a fresh install and has the same behaviour on both AIX 4.3.3 and AIX 5.1.

Any idea as to what is happening?

Sounds like your dhcpd is running - had 2 similar threads about it, check them out:

They contain the command how to stop your dhcpd and some more.

Thanks for the suggestion but it seems that I still have the same problem. The system I am currently on has a static IP set and as soon as the RS6000 is plugged in, the internet stops working on the entire network (even the static IP clients with gateway set) and the DHCP clients take the IP address from the RS6000 - even though it has a static IP set and there is no DHCP service running! I did comment the line in the rc.tcpip file, wrote a new image, pretty much every suggestion in those threads and I still have the same problem. This occurs no matter how many times I try reinstalling the OS. It also does not respond to a ping at its IP address. One thing I noticed is that when I do an ifconfig -a, it says that its broadcast address is 192.168.1.255. This is all quite confusing to me as I'm not very familiar with AIX.

I thought this was going to be a relatively good email server but so far it's been more a headache than anything!

Anyone have any ideas?