AIX monitoring tools for graphical output

Hi ,

I am new for Aix i am using IBM AIX server in our org. I am using tomcat and JDK 1.6 for our own ERP software the data base was stored in another server (windows )

i want to monitor my AIX server with graphical output from another system it is possible please help me, any other software is there ?

Thanks in advanced

Krishna.

look into this thread http://www.unix.com/aix/147836-find-memory-utilization-particular-process-aix-5-3-a.html

What exactly do yo want to monitor? Processes? Memory? Network interfaces? Electrical Currency? Somenthing else?

Once you tell us exactly what you would want to achieve it would be a lot easier to help you achieving it.

bakunin

1 Like

hi,
thanks for your reply

i need to monitor the processes ,Memeory ,Network and Tomcat web server i want to monitor these services from another system i need the graphical output

thanks in advance please help me.

krishna.

Probably your simplest option would be to write a small script.

To monitor the processes use the "ps" command, like in the following script sketch:

while : ; do
     if [ $(ps -fe | grep "<processname>" | wc -l) -le <minimum_nr_plus_1> ] ; then
          show_error "Not all processes seem to run."
     fi
     sleep <nr_of_seconds>
done

To monitor the memory is more tricky: (almost) all otherwise unused memory is used by the OS for caching purposes, so monitoring "free memory" is completely useless - you get constantly "nearly all memory used" as a result, regardless of how much memory is in fact used by applications.

If you are not interested in exact memory consumption, but only in avoiding paging you could monitor the utilization of the paging space(s) by "lsps -a":

if [ $(lsps -s | sed '1d;s/^.*\([0-9][0-9]*\)%.*$/\1/') -gt <threshold_value>] ; then
          show_error "Paging space utilization exceeded."
     sleep <nr_of_seconds>
done

Tomcat is an application and could be monitored like any other process (see above)

Monitoring network connectivity is relatively easy, but with a catch: if the network connection goes down the machine has usually no way of advertising this fact. The best solution is to monitor the system from another host, like in the following sketch:

if [ $(ping -c1 <host_to_monitor1>; echo $?) -gt 0 ] ; then
          show_error "Cannot reach <host_to_monitor1>"
     fi
     if [ $(ping -c1 <host_to_monitor2>; echo $?) -gt 0 ] ; then
          show_error "Cannot reach <host_to_monitor2>"
     fi
     [ ...]
     sleep <nr_of_seconds>
done

I hope this helps.

bakunin

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I need the step by step to create this script how to use this ps command

please help me.

krishna.

---------- Post updated 11-20-10 at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous update was 11-19-10 at 12:43 PM ----------

Hi,

I need one more help i want to install REAL VNC software for AIX please advice me

thanks
krishna

check out nmon. that can create a CSV file and the you can import into something to graph it. The BMC Patrol product is also a nice tool for monitor/graphing server utilization.

Hi:
What about xymon?
Of course better if you have several boxes!