AIX custom package install query

I have created a .bff package for an app to tbe installed on AIX servers across regions. I am pretty new to the AIX mode of packaging using mkinstallp but I have been able to get the same done. I installed the same on the server in which i created the package and the application was deployed correctly. However when I move the same .bff file to another server and try to complete the install it fails with message

/usr/lib/instl/instal[15]: NMApplication1-AIX.Client.rte.pre_i: not found.
instal: Failed while executing the NMApplication1-AIX.Client.rte.pre_i script.

To get this covered I moved the whole directory tree which hosted the .pre_i and other files onto the target server but this does not seem to work.

Any help on this would be great. I also would like to know if I can use the .bff file only for the package deployment or do I need to move the entrie directory tree sibnce documentation on AIX packaging is basically very rudimentatry and not in depth as say an rpm package or .pkg package

Regds,
Jobby

I've never tried this but as a complete guess I would say there is a path problem.
I'd check the path on both systems (echo $PATH) and also look at all the commands and their respective paths in the script.
HTH

Well thats the first thing I checked but the paths correct. Whats more important is that the path is irellevant as the pre/post install would already be a part of the package with the paths defined. I am checking on this further and will updatein case I get to know the solution

Another guess - file permissions?

Also, you could try running mkinstallp in "truss", i.e. truss mkinstallp ... , to see what the underlying OS calls are when it fails.

Nope.. Not file permissions. They are 0755.

Problem is not with the package creation i.e mkinstallp but with the installation process i.e installp command. Sorry if I was not clear enough

I believe when we use the installp command the scripts are written to the /sr/lpp/<packagename folder>. This is not happening and could be the cause:confused:

Are you saying that your package tries to run a script "NMApplication1-AIX.Client.rte.pre_i", but that you are not including this file in the package itself?

No the script NMApplication1-AIX.Client.rte.pre_i is part of the package.

If the error is:
"instal: Failed while executing the NMApplication1-AIX.Client.rte.pre_i script."

Is the script executable when installp tries to run it?
Is the enclosing directory readable?
Is the shell specified in the script actually there? E.g. /usr/bin/bash ?
Does the script return a non-zero code?
Does the script actually work?

Error message is :
/usr/lib/instl/instal[15]: NMApplication1-AIX.Client.rte.pre_i: not found.
instal: Failed while executing the NMApplication1-AIX.Client.rte.pre_i script.

Is the script executable when installp tries to run it?
Yes

Is the enclosing directory readable?
Yes

Does the script return a non-zero code?
Yes

Does the script actually work?
Yes

Is the shell specified in the script actually there? E.g. /bin/bash ?
I think this might be the reason. Since after I discussed this issue with the AIX SA team, he asked me to try after a few minutes and it worked. Time stamp of the bash binary shows that it was placed a couple of minutes before. I will recheck it with the SA since he has not yet replied on how this was solved...

Regds,
Jobby

Yep Problem was with the pre-install script having a bash shell include statement. Bash is not available by default on our AIX systems and needs to be put in seperately. after the adjustments to the pre/post install scripts were made this was resolved.

Regds,
Jobby