AIX Boots straight to service mode

Hi,

I installed AIX 5.2 on a P5 9110-51A (powerpc).
The installation was successful, however, after each reboot it goes to service mode.
If I enter SMS menu, select boot device and select "normal mode" everything is ok, the system boots. But if I issue a reboot, it goes back to diagnostics mode.

Is there any way to make the "normal boot" permanent?

I tried bosboot -a -M norm, no effect. I also emptied the bootlist for service mode, no effect.

Any hints?
Thanks.

there are two possibilities:

1. Machine Profile is set to boot into sms menu, change this on the hmc

2. Bootlist on the OS is set wrong

bosboot -a creates a new boot image, -M sets to Normal boot mode, thats ok, but you need to specify the boot devices

if you have a mirrored rootvg, on hdisk0 and hdisk1, use the command

bootlist -m normal hdisk0 hdisk1

(bootlist -m normal -o the see the current device order)

Hi,
I tried to enable multiboot and it always enters the boot menu in SMS. If I disable multiboot it goes to service (diagnostics) mode.

The output from bootlist -om normal is
hdisk1 blv=hd5

If I do a df I get:
/dev/hd1 -> /home
/dev/hd2 -> /usr
/dev/hd3 -> /tmp
/dev/hd4 -> /
/dev/hd9var -> /var
/dev/hd10opt -> /opt

In SMS boot options if I list all available boot devices I get:

1. Ethernet
  2. Ethernet
  3. IDE CDROM
  4. SCSI 166814 MB Harddisk
  5. SCSI 166814 MB Harddisk, part=2 (AIX 5.2.0)
  6. SCSI 166814 MB Harddisk
  7. SCSI Tape

It's strange about the bootlist because if I go into SMS and set the boot order and boot device it creates a good bootlist (I can check it after the operating system has started) however, after the reboot it doesn't keep the normal mode, it goes to service mode (diagnostics mode).

Thanks.

This one is easy: the device you are booting from is NOT a mounted file system. Only mounted file systems are listed by "df", though.

Issue an "lsvg -l rootvg" and you will see the "missing" hd5 with a lv type of "boot".

I hope this helps.

bakunin

I see, so it's not related to my problem.
Any other things I should check?

Thanks.

have you checked the machine profile on the hmc? (if you have one)

you need to shutdown and start the machine for changes in profile to take effect, not only reboot

and please post the command bakunin provided, do you have another hdisk in rootvg?

if yes, you can specify a device with bosboot -a -d /dev/hdiskx

Well, problem was solved by removing the battery, waiting for 30 minutes, put the battery back, power on. Everything (except the date) was ok.