AIX available cifs mount options

Hi,

I can't find any documentation of all available mount options of mount -v cifs

Unfortunately you can specify any fantasy options, no complains, and the mount command shows this option

In particular I want to know if there is a possibility to completely disable cifs caching in aix, like dio/cio for jfs2

Thanks in advance

Cheers funksen

bos.cifs_fs.rte 7.1.3.30

IBM Knowledge Center

1 Like

hi, sorry for my late response, was on vacation :wink:

thank you for the link, really couldn't find it, was looking for cifs and not smbfs

unfortunately the options are very limited

cifs is the official name for smb(fs). I have not looked at the article, so I am not sure how current, or not current it is.

So, the fileset name uses the official name, the documentation talks about the well-known name.

Even back when the cifs fileset was introduced - LONG LONG ago...

From: AIX 5.3 Differences: Paragraph 7.12 (very little, actually no detailed information) link: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg247463.pdf

Example 7-18 Configuring SMB clients
# lslpp -L |grep cifs
bos.cifs_fs.rte 5.3.0.0 C F Runtime for SMBFS
bos.cifs_fs.smit 5.3.0.0 C F SMIT Interface for SMBFS
# lsdev -C|grep nsmb
nsmb0 Available N/A

Re: the Knowledge Center Link - the options are different, and limited because jfs/jfs2 and SMB are very different file system types. Looks like besides who owns what there are also limitations re: max. file size that can be transferred.

If you are running into a limitation of the AIX cifs (client-side or server-side), or even to get your question answered about what options have any effect - open a PMR. Questions like that fall under your software support question.

The hardest part is presenting a well-formed question!