Aix and Storage Hitachi

Hello everyone

I would like to hear your opinions about Aix 6.1 and Aix 5.3 with Storage Hitachi the model is USP VM.

We buy it and I want to know day to day task with this storage and Aix.

Thanks for your comments.

Best wishes for this 2010

I've used Hitachi USP and 9980 DASD with our AIX 6.1 boxes. It was in a Raid 5 configuration so we didn't do any mirroring on our side. It worked well and was very fast. If you are using on a server with physical fiber cards assigned to it, like a VIO server, you need to install the HTC_MPIO_ODM_5400I and HTC_MPIO_ODM_5401U filesets so that AIX correctly recognizes the disks. Without those, the "lscfg" AIX command will call them something like "FCSCI Other". With it, the output looks like this:

vio1:/:# lscfg -vl hdisk5 | grep hdisk5
  hdisk5           U7311.D20.10B518A-P1-C06-T1-W50060E80042B3556-L5000000000000  Hitachi MPIO Disk USP (Fibre)
vio1:/:#

Before you add too many disks, you will want to set these fiber card attributes:

chdev -l fscsi0 -a dyntrk=yes -a fc_err_recov=fast_fail -P

With every LUN (hdisk) we were assigned, we set the following disk attributes on our VIO servers:

chdev -l hdisk5 -a reserve_policy=no_reserve -a algorithm=round_robin -a pv=yes -a hcheck_interval=3600 -a queue_depth=4 -P

Since, the disk changes cannot be made "on-the-fly", I set the attributes with the "-P" and then did "rmdev -l hdisk5" followed by "mkdev -l hdisk5". This took the disk out of the system configuration and then brought it back in with the attributes set appropriately.

We always had good luck with Hitachi USP and 9980 disks.

Hello

Thanks for your comments kah00na

Greetings