AIX admins satisfaction

As a new AIX user I'm interested in experienced admins opinions:

• In you opinion what is the best feature in AIX?
  • If you could change something in AIX what will it be?
  • Where do you see AIX in 5 years from now?
  • Are you using AIX by your own choice or by company policy?
  • Would you suggest using AIX to a collegue?

Thank you for your time if you're willing to reply

Disclaymer: I don't work for IBM or any other vendor, I'm just a curious sysadmin

Since this nothing technically I move it to another area.

VMM, LVM and Smitty

Nothing within AIX - but I would love to see AIX again on a proprietary notebook.

In any big company - running their major databases. I do NOT want to see it running their webservers though :slight_smile:

I picked my company when they introduced AIX into their environment - so definitely by choice. And I stay away from any other UNIX by choice :wink:

If he comes from Linux or Solaris - no. As the way AIX 'thinks' is very different. So a lot of things in AIX seem to be unlogic to other Unix SAs and many of them are not willing to forget what they think they know - and start to learn and think the AIX way. To people new in IT / UNIX - absolutely yes. But the fewer of us exist the better the salaries and the greater the demand - so from that perspective being an AIX SA since many moons - NO. :slight_smile:
Kind regards
zxmaus

2 Likes
   In the feeling its close to what I know best : HP-UX and so has the same qualities, the main one is a true administration interface...

zxmaus said it all.. (would be fun on a Mac...)

Still there somewhere...

Company policy, although we have AIX admins when it comes to sensible legacy stuff or older AIX, there is no one responding and so left to me...( some boxes are pre2000...)

Depends...

1 Like