AIX admin - lpar question

Hi Guru, my question is that can I create LPAR in AIX 5.3, 6.0, 6.1 by using smit lpar, rather than using HMC or AIX Commands? Thank you very much. Mir Ali

Tahniet,

From my own understanding creating LPAR is via HMC not smit. =)

Please understand: "smit" is an interface, not a tool in itself. Anything, which could be done via SMIT could be done with normal commands too. On the other hand, if there is anything you would like SMIT to do and it doesn't do it you could create some SMIT panels yourself and have this functionality added. (Some even have created their own SMITs for some specialized things. The procedure is documented in IBMs OS documentation.

Further: a HMC is a specialized system to administer an LPARed POWER4-, POWER5- or POWER6-system. If you want to change/define/configure/erase/start/close/whatever an LPAR, you have to do it from the HMC - with or without SMIT. As IBM has pretty much closed the HMC against any system administrators attempt to configure it (they claim its not a "normal" machine, but an "appliance" - like a toaster - and you have no business changing it in any way) the chances that you will SMIT get to run on this system are *very* slim.

I hope this helps in understanding.

bakunin

To be very simple about this - No you can't create an LPAR from SMIT running on an LPAR. SMIT runs on an AIX LPAR so how would you create the first lpar if AIX wasn't running.

You create LPARS using the HMC (or IVM) to instruct the system what an LPAR should look like, and you can do that in several ways.

1. Use the GUI of the HMC
  2. Create all the definitions in the Systems Planning Tool and import them
  3. Write scripts to run on the HMC to create the LPARS.

The one thing all these things have in common is that they drive through the HMC the creation of LPARS.