Adding subnet on windows network

Hi All,

I have a windows network that I need to improve network speed. Unfortunately, it's running on one subnetwork. So I would like to put multi subnet on it. I don't want to put cisco routing and switching yet. I'm new to it and I would like to put linksys router and unmanaged switch for now so that it will be easier for me to troubleshoot.

I'm planning to put the 30 user computer first on another subnet (internal subnet). Is this a good plan? Or should I put the server on the internal subnet (the current) and create an external new subnet?

So I added one linksys router for now and 1G 48 port unmanage switch. On the router, I put a static IP 10.1.1.30 from the current subnet (10.1.1.0/24) and configure the router subnet (10.1.2.0/24).

I can ping from the new subnet 10.1.2.0 all the ip of the server but not the dns name, nothing resolve to it. And of course, from the external subnet, I cannot ping any user computer.

What do I need to make dns working so that the two subnet will be working fine with active directory, exchange and ERP application? And also on DHCP, I want another Windows DHCP and not the router DHCP. What should I do?

Please help and more power.

A generic "home router" does NAT and IP masquerade, and functions as its own internet gateway. This means that all requests from your subnet will appear to be coming from the router's IP itself, while the router keeps track of which external responses belong to which internal IPs by their incoming port numbers. Things like DHCP are of course blocked entirely so it can handle its own internal subnet independent of the external "WAN". In other words I don't think the router's doing anything remotely like what you'd hoped it'd do by default.

If it's even possible to do what you want with your router you'll need to use some 'advanced' routing options. What model are you using?

I'd also note that most "home" routers are 100baseT, not gigabit, so unless most of the communication on that subnet is going to be inter-machine a gigabit switch seems a bit of a waste.