Adding existing VG to powerHA Resource group

Hello. I am Running AIX 6.1 and PowerHA 6.1

I have an active/active cluster (Prod/Dev) cluster. Each side will failover to the other.

I have on my prod side an active volume group with a file system. The VG is imported on both nodes and active (varried on, file system mounted) on the prod node.

I would like to add this VG, which has been active for a time, to the resource group of the Prod node.

From my knowledge (such as it is) and research, I have the following as my plan:

Do a discovery
Add the vg to the resource group
Do a sync/verify

Anything I am missing? Can I do these safely while the cluster is active? Any small configfuration items that may pop up?

Thanks for your time and any suggestions.

Hi,

since you anyways have to unmount the filesystem and varyoff the VG to add it to the cluster - and since you have to do a deep resync afterwards (with failure correction) which is supposed to happen while the cluster is offline, I would not recommend to even start while the cluster is up.

Regards
zxmaus

that's how I killed a tsm-Cluster ;), added one vg to a resource group that already had about 5 vgs, after a sync the resource group reconfigured itself, forcing unmount and mount

but you can safely add a new resource group to the cluster while it is running

don't know if this behavior has changed in newer power ha (6/7) releases

@funksen

no, at least not in 6.1 :slight_smile:

Regards
zxmaus