Adding a Volume Group to an HACMP Resource Group?

Hi,

I have a 2 node Cluster. Which is working in active/passive mode (i.e Node#1 is running and when it goes down the Node#2 takes over)

Now there's this requirement that we need a mount point say /test that should be available in active node #1 and when node #1 goes down and node#2 takes over the mount point should move with. it.

As we all know that when a node goes down the Resource Group (RG) moves to the backup node as well. I want to add this new mount point in a new VG and add this VG to the RG so that i can get the desired operation.

Thanks.:slight_smile:

---------- Post updated at 04:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:28 AM ----------

I just want to know what are the steps to do this?

Plus the VGs that I create should they be enhanced concurrent etc?
Regards,

@aixromeo
Check out this link

1 Like

create a concurrent capable vg on one side, then varyoff, and import it on the other node, of course you need to see the disk on both nodes

make sure you use the same vg major number

importvg -V majornumber -y yourvg hdiskx

I always want to make sure, that my disks have the same hdisk number on both nodes, but this is not absolutely necessary

then discover os changes in hacmp, add the vg to your resource group (make sure it's varied of before you start the cluster)
synchronise the cluster and you are done

I recommend adding lvs und filesystems before you import the vg on the other node, so you don't have to work with cspoc, but with standard lvm commands

this is a general description because I don't have the time to make it more detailed, but ask if you have troubles somewhere

1 Like

Thanks for the reply,

Well I have created a new VG. enhanced concurrent. Then i created a FileSystem on that VG. That too enhanced concurrent.

Then I imported the VG to the second node

import -y <VG> <hdisk#>

It got imported.

Now I go to smit hacmp>Extended Config>Extended Resource Config>HACMP Extended resource group config>Change/Show attributes of a resource group

But i cannot see my VG there. It just shows the diskhbvg thats it :frowning:

Did you issue a discovery?

Extended Configuration > Discover HACMP-related Information from Configured Nodes

1 Like

Guys Thanks a ton for the replies.
The issue has been resolved!

I did the following.

(Didnt create the VG using smitty vg)

1. smitty hacmp>(System Management)CSPOC>Storage>Volume Group>Create a VG

Selected both nodes
>node1
>node2

Selected the participating disks (one on node1 and the other on node2 same PVID)

Then I filled in the info > Resource Group, VG name and thats it..

My VG was created on both the nodes!

Then I went to the same options in point 1 and this time i selected Create a File system

Created my file system on the VG..

and now it is mounted on the active node and it moves with the resource group!

Thank you all :slight_smile:

Before you start using your resource group you might want to reimport the VG again using the "-V" flag as funksen said.

It is not a *requirement* to have the same Major Number for the VG on both participating nodes but it makes administrating the cluster a lot easier in the long run.

To get the major number have a look at the node where you created the VG. You will notice an character-device entry /dev/<vgname> , which has a certain major number. Like in this example, the major number is 34:

root@system# lsvg
rootvg
datavg
imagevg

root@system# ls -l /dev/datavg
crw-rw----    1 root     admin        34,  0 Jan 20 13:46 /dev/datavg

This you can use to import the VG on the other node with the same Major Number.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

1 Like