Add Blank Spaces in text, to perform beter alignment of the string

Hi Guru,

I need some advice on how to add blank spaces to the code, rather than me just adding <space-bar spaces> which does not work.

Current output of the code

File System Backed Up - ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES 

Daily - Incremental Backup Schedule - 1 Month Retention 
�  7pm - PRD & DEV WIN 
�  2am - PRD & DEV SQL 

Above Code

echo "                                                                                                 "  >> $TMP/AUDIT_HEADER
echo " File System Backed Up                             - ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES                     <br>   "  >> $TMP/AUDIT_HEADER
echo "                                                                                          <br>   "  >> $TMP/AUDIT_HEADER
echo "                                                                                          <br>   "  >> $TMP/AUDIT_HEADER
echo " <u> BACKUP SCHEDULE </u>                                                                 <br>   "  >> $TMP/AUDIT_HEADER
echo " Daily - Incremental Backup Schedule               - 1 Month Retention                    <br>   "  >> $TMP/AUDIT_HEADER
echo " <li> 7pm     - PRD & DEV WIN                    </li>                                    <br>   "  >> $TMP/AUDIT_HEADER
echo " <li> 2am     - PRD & DEV SQL                    </li>                                    <br>   "  >> $TMP/AUDIT_HEADER

Preferred output

File System Backed Up                     - ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES 

BACKUP SCHEDULE 

Daily - Incremental Backup Schedule       - 1 Month Retention 
�  7pm         - PRD & DEV WIN 
�  2am         - PRD & DEV SQL 

Can you tell me how i can achieve this via the code, for the above output.

Thanks

How about using <pre> and </pre> at beginning and end of file?

What RudiC is trying to tell you is: your output file is written the way you anticipate it, with as many spaces as you have put into the double-quoted strings and all. But you are writing HTML-code and you probably look at the file not using a text editor but a web browser. This browser is eating your spaces away, because in HTML consecutive space characters are collapsed into one.

Use the <pre> .... </pre> -tags RudiC mentioned, use the HTML code (non-breakable space) instead of literal space-chars or use a so-called "blind table" as a formatting device: create a (invisible) table where the columns are aligned at precisely the place where you need your text to start. Then you place the text in a cell in the the respective column to put i into a certain place.

I hope this helps.

bakunin