A Windows password script

I am looking for a Windows password script. What I would like it to do is the following:

1.) I right click a folder &/or file and it has the option to "attach a password" in the context menu. (created by the script.)

2.) After attaching the password to the folder &/or file, it will prompt for the password when trying to open the folder &/or file & or a file inside the protected folder.

3.) Last it will need to do is extend these protection settings so if it's copied to external media, hard drives, or other computers, it will still prompt.
----------------------------------------------------
OK, some important notes:

• I don't want a programs that make you move the file/folder into a "vault or locker".

• I would like to attach a password to the file/folder with no further manipulation to the file/folder.

-"Winrar" is the closest thing to my longest most simple journey but it moves the file into a password protected archive. This would not be so bad if it didnt take forever to open just to populate (when you have multiple files in the archive.) This is very time consuming when you just want to open one file/folder.
------------------------------------------------
This is so simple yet I have failed to know end trying to find this. The mac has this built in I believe, but I have Windows. Joy for Windows :rolleyes:.

And what has Windows to do with Unix ?

Moved to the Windows sub-forum.

This has nothing to do with unix obviously. Although I have failed to see the "windows sub forum", sarcasm is not necessary.

Thanks in advance to those who wish to help.

You cross-posted in an off-topic place intentionally, then? Hardly an improvement...

I'll put it plain and simple: Files don't work that way. The closest you'd get would be an encrypted locker, or some sort of self-extracting executable that demands a password first.

No I did not cross post anything intentionally. I am simply seeking help.

Files can work the way they are written, here is a quote from another forum site about the same topic and I would like to see a smart post somewhere on how to do what this says:

"The only way you're going to be able to have everything you want in a program, is for it to be supported in the filesystem, and with Windows you have FAT and NTFS as your choices. Neither of which support anything even approaching this. What you want SOUNDS simple, until you come across someone with a little actual programming experience, who will tell you this would require a pretty significant reworking of some major Windows components. You'd need to update the filesystem to support a specific kind of ACL, then work the file management APIs to support those as well. Then you have to wrap all that into a pretty GUI. And even then, any external devices would have to use the same filesystem, or you'd have to create a failsafe in the file manager APIs so that it will refuse to copy a file from one filesystem to another, which would greatly upset people who wouldn't be able to figure out why they can't copy some file or directory."

Which is it? It can't be both.

Anyway, he's saying you need to fundamentally modify the operating system. That's something you'd have to ask the people at microsoft to do. So my answer still applies.

Well let me say I appreciate your answer because that is helping.

Although, I would appreciate it even more if you left out your relentless comments, one example "which is it it can't be both."

I get a kick out of people who have to criticize to feel good. Especially where its not necessary (like a forum to help people.)

This is where I stop seeking help from forums like this. They seem to be filled with people and there bad personalities. Instead of people who just want to help.

I started this same exact thread on another site and it is quite different (much more friendly people).

Thread closed for me.

Both of you, please cool down.

@bigbutt100: The first question from frans wasn't meant sarcastically, or anything (at least in my understanding), but based on the simple fact that in the beginning you posted in an UNIX forum of this site. If I'd seen & moved it sooner, he wouldn't even have asked.

@Corona688: Please give new users the benefit of doubt. I can't imagine that you did everything right from the beginning on every forum and site you've joined. Yes, he posted in the wrong forum at the start, but I don't think it was because he intended to. As for

Why can't it be both? The two factors are not causally connected.

Here's a script Harris that uses the Windows 2000 Resource Kit tool Cusrmgr.exe to change the Local Administrator Password. You can do more with this tool, but the script will only change the Local Administrator password. Once you compile the script as an EXE file, you can run it through SMS with Local Admin rights.

Document Type: IPF
item: Global
  Version=6.0
  Title English=Change Local Administrator Password.
  Flags=01011000
  Languages=0 0 65 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  LanguagesList=English
  Default Language=2
  Japanese Font Name=MS Gothic
  Japanese Font Size=10
  Start Gradient=0 0 255
  End Gradient=0 0 0
  Windows Flags=00010000000000000010110000011000
  Message Font=MS Sans Serif
  Font Size=8
  Disk Filename=SETUP
  Patch Flags=0000000000001001
  Patch Threshold=85
  Patch Memory=4000
  FTP Cluster Size=20
end
item: Custom Graphic
  Width=1010
  Height=615
  Flags=0000000010000000
  item: Rectangle
    Rectangle=0 0 509 56
    Flags=11100001
    Pen Width=1
    Brush Style=1000
    Extra Flags=00000100
  end
  item: Text
    Text English=Local Administrator Password Change.
    Rectangle=7 7 506 48
    Pen Color=16777215
    Pen Width=1
    Extra Flags=00000011
    Name=Century Gothic
    Font Style=-19 0 0 0 400 0 0 0 0 3 2 1 34
  end
  item: Rectangle
    Rectangle=772 582 1010 615
    Pen Width=1
    Brush Style=1000
    Extra Flags=00000100
  end
  item: Text
    Text English=Created By: Anand Upadhyay
    Rectangle=781 590 975 608
    Flags=00010011
    Pen Color=16777215
    Pen Width=1
    Extra Flags=00000011
    Name=MS Sans Serif
    Font Style=-12 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  end
end
remarked item: Remark
  Text=Note: Compile this script to EXE and run it through SMS with Local Admin rights
end
item: Set Variable
  Variable=DEST_C
  Value=C:
end
  Text=Make sure Cusrmgr.exe is available on C:\ drive before you compile this script.
end
  Text=Cusrmgr.exe is available on Windows 2000 Resource kit but it is also compatible with NT 4.0
end
  Text=Installing tool which will be removed later.
end
item: Install File
  Source=c:\Cusrmgr.exe
  Destination=%DEST_C%\Cusrmgr.exe
  Flags=0000000000100010
end
  Text=Getting Computername from Registry and putting it into Variable.
end
item: Get Registry Key Value
  Variable=COMPUTERNAME
  Key=SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName
  Value Name=ComputerName
  Flags=00000100
end
  Text=Resetting Local Administrator Password
end
  Text=Change **Administrator** name in below line, only if you need to 
  and change **password** in below line with your custome password.
end
item: Execute Program
  Pathname=%DEST_C%\Cusrmgr.exe

Love you all from Harris

Danger, Will Robinson!! Don't ever run any program of a web site that tells you it'd change the Administrator password.

Also, what does changing the Administrator password have to do with the issue posted?

Any chance of starting a clean thread? Needs to mention the Windows version(or versions) involved, whether each is workstation or server, and whether all the filesystems involved are NTFS. I guess that these are not Microsoft Office files?

The archive method is unclear bearing in mind that some backup software does not like passworded files.

Ok guys this is not that much of a big deal. I hate to make you guys think so much seeing how complex this seems to be.

I will look forward to a program that will just install a script and provide the "attach password" in the right-click context menu. Cross OS compatibility and NTFS/FAT/FAT32 would be important.

I will check back to see "Meryl's" ideas or any others but for now you all don't have to post anymore.

Thank you