3D effects on RHEL6 OC

Hello,
I just installed RHEL6 OC on my T61p. It's great!
Just for fun I'd like to use some fancy cool Desktop effects. I tried to enable 3D Desktop effects from OC Welcome Center but it gave me error message:
Accelerated 3D graphics is not available. Desktop effects require hardware 3D support.
Does anyone aware if I could fix it or someone knows about cool Desktop package I could use to play?
Thanks,

Well, do you have hardware accelerated 3D graphics? What is your card? What drivers do you use?

The T61P had a PCI Express x16 NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M. Try installing the proprietary NVIDIA driver instead of the nouveau driver.

thanks for reply.
My video card is: nVidia Corporation G84M [Quadro FX 570M]
I could see it from Control Center -> System -> Display.
If I click on 'Configure' button I see a list of models of video cards and the one selected is:
nv - nVidia Riva 128, RIVA TNT, GeForce, nForce and QUADRO cards.
Sorry ... but I don't know how to install propriety Nvidia driver. someone told me that I should use 'Restricted Drivers Manager' ... but I can't find it on my system. Where could I find propriety nvidia driver and how to install it on my rhel6 OC?
I do appreciate your help.

On RH 6 there's a bit of an issue installing the proprietary driver.

You must add the following to your /boot/grub/menu.lst file:
on a line that starts with: kernel /vmlinuz-2.6....

rdblacklist=nouveau

Then in the /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf file, add this line:

blacklist nouveau

You will then need to reboot.

After reboot you should go here:

Download the appropriate driver for your adapter and architecture. Follow the instructions for installation. An additional reboot may be required.

1 Like

hi mark54g,
Thanks for reply.
I did all steps you mentioned ( I didn't modprobe.conf file so I created it myself).
I downloaded driver. When I started to installed it first complaint that I don't have gcc. I installed gcc. After that it started to complain that it needs kernel sources ... but apparently I don't have it. Didn't think that just installing driver would request kernel sources ... anyway currently thinking to get those sources.
Thanks,

---------- Post updated at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:28 PM ----------

finally I was able to install driver.
Thanks a lot and appreciate your help

The driver needs the kernel sources because it actually creates elements specific to your kernel. I'm glad it worked for you.

i too is having the same problem and my laptop is dell studio 1558
graphics card ati radeon 5470