2 x HBA, connected to a SAN, but no Multi path software - What happens ?

Hi there

Now, Ive always support servers that used multi path software with dual cards, e.g. powerpath (emc ) / MPXIO. I got asked a question today, that if a solaris 8/9/10 host had 2 HBA cards, but no multipathing software, what would happen ?? Does the HBA card with the highest id on the PCI board be the primary ?

Like I said, never seen this, so dont know. Solaris 8, if you want MPXIO does it work with Sol 8 ? Dont I need to install a package ?

Like always, tremendous site, and thanks in advance :slight_smile:

SBK

if no multipathing software is active both controllers have access to the disks... you can mount them over c1t... and c2t1... for exampel.

you need to install SUNWsan + patches for multipathing support in solaris 8.

oh right, :slight_smile: So, each HBA will be a controller, so c1 or c2 for sake of argument. God, its obvious, like having two scsi c controllers. As its FC thought it would be different. Im a c o c k :slight_smile:

Same 10 disks will be mountable by either c1t1d1 > d10 or c2t1d1 > d10. So, you could have issues with applications is writing to different mounts, point to the same disk.

To failover, to would have to manually write scripts to unmount, remount with new devices.

Cool

Cheers.