2 in 1 Linux system

i have heard that you can have 2 computers running and mak it so one syste will use the other systems CPU though the network or some thing like that. first, is this true? if so how do i set it up with Mandrake 9.2 or higher?

It's called "clustering" and it's pretty easy to do. you need 2 or more networked computers on the same subnet with the same broadcast address (from what I recall). Do a google on "Linux Cluster Howto" and "Open Mosix". That should get you started. I've only been acquainted with Redhat clusters, but I'm sure you can do it with Mandy or any other distro.

Good luck with your cluster,

Dave

could i use a cross over network cord? and can i use my windows computer with the 2 linux systems i have to speed up my windows system?

Was that question not answered by the documentation I refered you to?

Specifically, http://howto.x-tend.be/openMosix-HOWTO/c268.html
And then, if you want to actually research this without having someone do it for you:
http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/
http://howto.x-tend.be/openMosix-HOWTO/
Linux Cluster HOWTO

I think what you are asking, is "will my Windows system need anything special to be able to communicate with, and use services provided by, my cluster? If so, the answer is no, you will be able to work with the cluster just like you currently can with your single Mandrake install.....however, if you only have a x-over cable, you are going to need to network the cluster on your LAN somehow, which should mean that you'll need a 3rd NIC in the mix somewhere. Personally I'd recommend getting a cheap switch or hub for $20-40.

Take the time to read the documentation for these projects if you are serious about setting this up. "Better men than we" have gone before us and forged a path that is clear for all who are willing to follow it.

i looked though it and it talked about using switchs and hubs and stuff but it didn't say anything about network cross over cables that i could see.

n/m i found out i can use a cross over cable.

I was thinking, technically he could make use of his unix machines in his winblows environment to a limited degree.

If he installed cygwin, and built some cross compilers on his unix machines, he should be able to compile distcc for ditributed compiling on his winblows machine. I've never tried it, but I'm sure it would be possible.

There are other things you could do to speed up a windows environment. Take blender for example, I belive it has some network rendering stuff it in and it is cross platform.

As for transparent clustering windows + unix, it ain't gonna happen.

And on another note about mosix, keep in mind it is designed for transparent computational clusters, ie. number crunching machines. It'll speed up things like a multi-threaded, CPU bound processes, but stuff that is IO bound will not migrate to the other nodes. Don't think it'll speed up your [insert favorite 3D video game here] because it won't.

As with everything in unix, the tools are there. It's how you use them that makes it worthwhile. If you do not want to learn how to use the tools, or want the computer to do something (half-assed) for you, stick with winblows.

so you are saying it is mainly for compiling? i figured it wouldn't speed up my games but could i use the 2 systems as a server for a game and then i can use my window too play the game and not be the server and player and eat up the CPU.