Why doesn't motd show up when I su to root?

When I do sudo -i isn't that like creating a root login shell session? Why isn't motd displayed? motd=message of the day.

---------- Post updated at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:25 AM ----------

I think I answered it myself, it is only called for remote login sessions, once you're connected, subsequent shells only read /etc/profile.d and ~/bashrc etc... Is that correct?

sudo -i is not actually a system login. /bin/login is not involved, so the motd doesn't happen.

When you login to an actual terminal username prompt, you're talking to /bin/login.

I created one for fun on my prefered server: and it shows up...

On this HP server it is called in /etc/profile ...

   # This is to meet legal requirements...

        cat /etc/copyright

   # Message of the day

        if [ -r /etc/motd ]
        then
                cat /etc/motd
        fi